Friday, December 16, 2022

Final Destination

Where Are We Today
Park Place RV Park
Quartzsite Arizona


By now you know we have arrived at our final destination for this winter, that is if you read patsyischillin every day. Yes, Quartzsite Arizona a small desert town full of campgrounds and BLM & LTVA areas surrounding it.

Here, I can continue to enjoy my hobby of flying RC aircraft at the Quartzsite Desert Flyers club field. I came down with three airplanes this year, two electric and one glow fuel. The glow fuel plane being a Piper Cub developed a knocking noise, not having tools and replacement parts readily, I sent it away last Friday to Horizon Hobby to be looked at. The engine, a Saito FA-82 four stroke is over 25 years old and has never had anything done to it. I received a call today letting me know it has been repaired and will be shipped Monday, I should have it by end of the week.

Piper Cub with Saito FA-82 engine

The first electric plane being a “Timber”, I have had about 7 years now, has been through the mill, several small mishaps and finally the engine twisted right out of the motor mount, that’s the end.

Timber

The second electric, the “Calmato” went in hard after a receiver malfunction, it is beyond repair and has followed the Timber into the big blue dumpster. I didn’t think to get pictures of either one of them.



Calmato

Having nothing to fly was not enjoying my hobby, fortunately, one of the club members had an airplane he was wanting to sell, negotiations were done and I now have another electric plane to fly.

Leader 480

One bit of other club related news, Wednesday was our monthly club meeting, elections were held for club officers for 2023, I have been elected club President.

There you have it for now, thanks for stopping by. Until the next time, take care.

                                                                         



13 comments:

  1. Yay! Darn. Yay!! Darn. That’s me reading your blog. Sorry you lost two planes but glad you got a new one. As to being President - Congrats!! I think. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing airplanes is all part of the hobby. Thanks for the congrats, I could have turned it down if I wanted.

      Delete
  2. Yeah that was Nancy K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the vote. Good you could get another plane while awaiting the return of the Piper Cub. Hopefully things improve but it is a moving hobby and moving things tend to have a few mishaps, some operator fault and some just reality of moving parts. Keep having fun.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, yes I got another plane. I am grateful that the engine could be fixed. Over the 40 years that I have been in this hobby, there have been many ups and downs both operator and mechanical faults.

      Delete
  4. Hey Bill, Nice to get a flying report. I've been wondering what you've been up to at the flying field.
    Thanks,
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. From your wife's point of view, it's nice to see things are working out after a few 'sad face' upsets. I'm glad your motor is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie, and yes I'm glad my motor is fixed and on it's way back. Horizon Hobby does great work.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations Mr. President!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Bill (wherever you are). Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete