Where Are We Today
As promised I have returned, sooner then you thought I might. Mentioned in my last post, we have had a series of issues with "The Suite" this winter. Although most of them we can get taken care of when we get home and covered under our extended warranty, they can still be worrisome and will still need to be kept an eye on.
The first one, which really started before we left, was a leak on the bedroom/hall closet slide. I thought I had found where it was leaking, but after hitting rain on our way down, we once again found water on the floor of the hall closet. While in Yuma, I found some 6 inch wide roof tape that I have installed on the roof of the slide. So far no more water, but we have not had any heavy or significant rain to know for sure that the issue is solved.
|This is the roller that came right out of its bracket|
|Here is the bracket right on the end of the slide. The bracket sits on the main floor of the trailer, right at the end of the slide and just below the frig, so it supports a lot of weight.|
Third, is the opposite slide, that being the table and recliner chairs/ living room slide. On one end, where the slide end wall meets the slide floor, there is a strip of metal with screws that go through it, the wall and into the floor. Some screws have come out completely, some have broken off heads and there is one that is tight and holding everything together. This is a common problem and usually fixed by inserting new screws, re tightening or drilling new holes and putting in new screws. The new screws would not tighten and upon investigating more, it seems that on the inside edge of the slide where the wall rest on top of the floor, the wall sticks out about a 1/4 of an inch past the edge of the floor. On the outside edge of slide, the wall and floor are even, as they should be. I have a thought on repairing this, but would like the techs opinion, so it will dealt with along with the other issues.
|This is the outside of the dining/living room slide, the back end. Can you see how uneven the end panel is to the bottom. The metal strip is removed at this time, you just see the screw holes.|
|Looking up from the bottom at the inside edge of the slide, you can see the gap created by the bottom of the wall sticking out past the edge of the floor.|
|This is the outside edge, see how there is no gap.|
|This is the opposite end of the slide, nice abd even with metal strip attached.|
Fourth is tires, which if you remember, on the fifth day out on our second winter, we had to replace all four tires. We are now having the same problem with these, sections of individual tread wearing off and one side wall coming apart. Through many discussions with fellow RVers, I am convinced that I will run these tires at their max cold air psi., which is 125 psi, not what the garage that installed them, said to. I have taken the tire with the bad side wall off and put the original spare tire on to get home with. Yes I will be keeping a close eye on them and checking air pressure more frequently, but it does mean, new tires before we leave next fall.
|Tire specs on the side of the tire. From now on my tires will be inflated to the max psi.|
|Side wall starting to separate, not shown is a patch of rubber about 3 inches in diameter that has come off about half way down the side wall on the inside of the tire.|
|Hard to tell in the pic, but that darker spot on the middle tread is lower than the other treads.|
The fifth issue is twofold and deals with the "BLACK TANK". No one wants to deal with an issue concerning one of these. The first issue is the dump valve for the tank, it is located inside near the tank and is difficult to get at. It has become very hard to open and close but fortunately, I had a second dump valve installed at the termination point, in case there was a problem with the original, which is easy to open and close. For those that know how anal I can be, I would like this fixed or replaced. The reason for wanting it fixed is simple, when at home, we dump the "grey tank" more often than the "black". If I continue to use the termination valve, I would be dumping the black and the treatment in it far sooner necessary. I have taken it apart once before, so know I can take care of it, but not until we are home.
|This is where the dump valve is located inside the trailer, not an easy spot to get at.|
|Here is the dump valve I had added at the termination point or where the hose attaches.|
|Original handle in the open position and the grey tank valve in the closed position. You can also see where the back flush connection is. The leak occurs somewhere near the top and other end of the tank, on the other side of trailer.|
Part two of this issue is, I discovered that during back flushing, there is a water leak, which runs along the frame and drips down inside the basement storage area. There are those that will say that these back flushing systems do not do a great job if used the way instructed, I would agree. But I like to close the dump valve and let the tank fill up about 1/4 to 1/2 way, then open the valve and let that flush away what didn't go with the initial dumping.
Again my anality, says if something is there in the first place and working, then I want it to work, not some band aid fix or not fix it all.
Just when you think there can't be anymore, there are a couple of ongoing issues that were there before we left home. One being a piece of duct pipe, that will have to be replaced and the ongoing replacement of door catches.
Before I close this post, let me say, besides all these issues that could have sent me to drink, smoke some pot (I didn't) or go stark raving mad, we have had a good winter, enjoying the sun, travels and many great friends along the way. We have our health and are safe. This has got to be a chapter in a very long book, so thanks for hanging in and reading to the end. Until the next time, take care, be safe and stay healthy. Thanks for your comments.