Friday, April 7, 2023

Gas and Diesel Don't Mix

Where Are We Today
Huachuca City/Sierra Vista

Did you hear about the guy that put gas in his diesel truck, what a …. …, oh wait, that was me. No excuses, except that I had one gigantic old age brain fart.

On our first day of our trip heading home, we had driven from Quartzsite to Huachuca City. Got set up at Quail Ridge RV Park and headed into Sierra Vista to get fuel, as we had less than 2 gallons to empty, and do some shopping.

I pulled into the Valero station on the front side, driving across the end of the pumps looking for diesel, black handles, more black handles and oh, there is a yellow handle. (Diesel pumps in Ontario are yellow or green) I pull up and proceed to fill the tank with what I realized when it was almost full, was gas.

Now I’m in panic mode, what to do. I know enough to not start the truck. There is a Ford dealer right next door, so over I go to get some help. This is Saturday afternoon; the service department is closed. Five sales guys come over and push me to the dealer ship. To put the truck in neutral, I quickly turn the key to accessory and off, the same to put it back in park. Wait until Monday when service is open and we’ll get you looked after.

I am there bright and early Monday morning to see when and what is needed to be done. Two mechanics off on training, so won’t be today, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Cost could be $900.00 to flush out the system or $14,000.00 if it got into the injectors.

After talking to family and friends, we went back to put the pressure on to just drain and flush the system, put in new fuel filters and we will be on our way.

They finally agreed to do that. While taking the fuel line off the tank they said that the connectors on the ends were cracked, so needed to order a new line, which didn’t get here until this morning. At 10:30 we got the call that it was done. Deb, from “Celebrating the Dance” gave us a ride to the dealer.

When paying the bill, the service advisor explained what they did and because it wasn’t the standard procedure by Ford, that there was no warranty on the work that they did. I said I understood and even had to sign where they had stated that on the invoice.

We have our truck and it’s running fine. There is more to this story but don’t want to bore you to death. I do want to say that if it wasn’t for one of the sales guys from Saturday that helped to push the truck, it would still be sitting there.

I can tell you that I beat myself up pretty good and we made ourselves sick thinking of the worst-case scenario, along with a couple of sleepless nights. As our B-I-L said, a year from now it will be just a memory and another story to tell. With the help of good friends, Tom and Deb, Deb and Riley, we were shuttled back and forth and at each Happy Hour, gave us laughter to forget our troubles. We thank them more than we can say. 

That’s it for now, sorry no pictures, until the next time, take care.


24 comments:

  1. I'm glad so much went right for you, Bill. Just another experience as I see it. Not the best and not the worst. Glad the BB is running good and you three can be on your way. Weather this way is looking great. Keep some shorts out. May need them next week. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure it was said several times over this last week, things happen for a reason even if we do not know what it is. Though, it would be nice once and awhile for the reason to not be a mystery. Tom and I are just happy for you and Patsy that your truck is back and ready to go. We are glad we could at least help with the shuttling. One thing for sure we certainly had a week of great Happy Hours! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, with everything you have said. The happy hours and great friends being the best part of the week. Safe travels for you too ❤️

      Delete
  3. I don't know about you Bill, but the older I get, the more stupid mistakes I make. You just got to roll with it. I bet you don't do that one again. :O) Good to hear it all worked out and you guys are on your way.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that seems to be the way. You just feel like such an idiot when you do, especially when you know better. Roll with it and move on is all you can do.

      Delete
  4. I like Doug’s perspective,an experience that won’t be repeated.The real takeaway is that you 3 are living the RV life - so just enjoy as long as are able.All the best & safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was an interesting time. We all have moments when we do things we wouldn’t normally do no matter age, race, religion, political views, or nationality, it’s called life. We are happy we could share your/our woes and the laughter with you and Patsy and Deb & Tom, it made things easier to take and let us all know that life has troubles but good friends and even complete strangers are willing to share their time, efforts, and wisdom to help us. We are truly fortunate. Safe travels friend.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so true, because of life, we had a great time this past week. Safe travels to you to Friend.

      Delete
  6. I did the same once on a tractor. Late day haying and picked up the wrong can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned through all of this, that it happens more then you know.

      Delete
  7. We've all done one thing or another with bad result. I did that in Canada because your nozzles are green for gas and not diesel!!! I'm just so surprised the dealership refused to warranty their work. It's not like you started the engine. Maybe they only have a protocol for when its been started. Glad it's fixed and you are on your way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The protocol is even if you turn the key on, and don't start it. There covering their buttons. Happy to have it fixed and on the road.

      Delete
  8. Safe travels. See you down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that this incident is behind you, let it be water down the bridge and forget about it, although I'm sure every time you fill the truck a glimmer might cross your mind. Safe travels and smooth highways!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have to give you a big hand Bill. I would not have thought to NOT start it. Getting it pushed to the dealer was VERY smart. So you are redeemed!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, I had heard a long time ago not to start the engine. Don't know how I managed to remember that, but I did.

      Delete
  11. It will be a good memory and warning to you in another year.
    Glad you ended up on the lucky side.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy the adventure.
    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did something like that years ago, but it was diesel into a gas car. Put about 5 gallons in to top off the tank, didn't realize what I had done, started it up and took off. Didn't take long for me to realize I had a problem, it started to run rough, it was a 70's car with a carb, and I made it the couple of miles home. Thought it might have been water in the gas as first, but my hand smelled of diesel, so that was probably out. Spent the night feeling really dumb.

    Drove a different car to work next day and talked to the mechanic at work, and he came over that night and we pumped all the fuel out that we could get and dumped 10 gallons of premium in, started it up, and in a few seconds it was running like a top. It liked that premium for sure. Had the car another 10 years and it ran great the whole time. That might not be the case now with fuel injection and such, but I dodged a bullet back then. I think he took the mix we drained out and ran it thru a couple of his old clunkers a little at a time. He was pretty thrifty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the story, there are more of us then you can imagine and there will be many more. Fortunately we both got off lucky and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

      Delete