Sunday, January 14, 2018

Changing Things Up

Where Are We Today
Quartzsite Arizona

To start this post a  self analogy is in order. I have never been one to buy dirt cheap, but have always wanted to buy the best and biggest I can, to be clear, not the best and biggest that there is. I always keeping in mind the financial side of the purchase.
Now having said that, this post is about how I wanted to make our " Blue Boy" better. When I bought it, I wanted the biggest one that I could get under the above criteria. The reason for that, was that the waste tanks on our 5TH wheel trailer are quite large, 75 gallons for the grey and 50 gallons for the black.  The bigger the " Blue Boy " the less trips to the dump station, thus the 45 gallon ' Blue Boy " that I purchased.


Hose and valve attached

After assembly, we never had a reason to use it until we were in the desert last winter. The first time we used it and headed off down the bumpy road to the dump station, the end cap would vibrate off and we would be scrambling to recap it, before we had  nasty spillage on the road. With a little ingenuity, we found away to keep the cap on for the rest of the time down here.

All coiled up for storage

I have notice this winter, " Blue Boys "with a dump valve on them, ours doesn't have one. My plan was to remove the hoses on ours and attach a dump valve, then hoses, and we would be all set. Low and behold the outlet nipple on our " Blue Boy " is an odd size and no dump valve will fit it. As many of us have down here, we find away to make things work.
I purchased a dump valve that can be attached to the existing hose and fittings that came with our " Blue Boy" and rattle down the road with no fear of spillage. In addition, as many of our fellow RVers have done, I have ordered a macerater, so that when it arrives next week, I can put the " Blue Boy " in the back of the truck and pump the waste into the tank, drive down the road to the dump station and dump.
Many different ways to get water, some use containers, I use a bladder and some bring their rigs. What ever works best for you. 

That was part of day, while Pat was doing the laundry, I purchased the valve. When we got home, I put it all together and will test it out tomorrow.
Today was also a day to top up our fresh water, an easy task, that I took care of this afternoon. Following that it was some reading, snoozing and Happy hour.

Hose from the bladder to the pump and from the pump to the trailer.

Hope you enjoyed your day, as we did, until the next time, take care and be safe.

While I BBQ, Pat takes Clemson for a walk.

Sunset

Glowing sky

Good night.

Leave a comment if you like, I do read them.


 

19 comments:

  1. Looks like a good fix for the Blueboy. Hope it works. As much as I would like to have one I have no idea where I would store it. My truck box is full with the generator, the fire pit, and the barbeque box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, yes they do take up room. Mine sits in the back of the truck where I don't have a BBQ and fire pit. Have thought of hanging it on the ladder on the back of the trailer as some people do. I have a step & extension ladder hanging there now.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to get what you needed to fix what you wanted to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will find using the Macerator less stressful driving over to the Dumpout. In answer to Dave not knowing where to carry his Blueboy. Lots of people strap them on their rear ladder.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly has to be less stressful I'm sure, can't wait to try it.

      Delete
  4. Your fix looks like it will work for you, better than the spillage that can happen. The Macerator will work wonderful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, it should work out well. Just glad I don't have to do a Rube Goldberg fix.

      Delete
  5. A busy day for certain. Looks like you have it all figured out and under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, will be looking forward to hearing how it works for you! Sunset was incredible...love those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys, I will let you know how it works out. We were going to do a dump this morning, but decided we are not desperate and will wait for the macerater to arrive, that way we are not having to pull the blue boy behind the truck along the bumpy road.

      Delete
  7. This is a good size bladder, where did you get it? Toying with the boon docking idea ourselves too, but it takes some preparation! Benno

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good setup you put together to haul water. The bladder, when packed up during travel requires little room. The pump and filter prevents Montezumas Revenge when down in southern Arizona. I had it once while working in a plant in Nogales, Mexico just behind the border of Nogales, AZ. I clicked the Older Post button and found some good tips on your blog. Nice writing, Bill!
    Benno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benno, yes the bladder folds up to a size of 3"x 8"x 10" approximately, we like to keep things as compact as we can, this works for us.Happy you found some good tips on the blog.

      Delete