Saturday, August 21, 2021

For "The Furry Gnome" Part Two

Where Are We Today
"The Ridge"
Priceville Ontario

As promised, here is the story on another project. I actually started this last summer. With no potable water supply here, we get our water from the landlord’s other property, a short distance away. I have always wanted a way to wash vehicles and water the gardens without having to get water from the landlord using the 45-gallon water bladder. Needless to say, we have a pond, so last summer I bought a pump and that’s as far as I got.

Pump, Tank and Pressure Gauge

This year, come drought or high water, I was going to get this working. Deciding where to put the pump came down to two choices, one, beside the Bunkie and two, beside the Hangar. The pond, where there is significant water level, is about 300 feet away with a rise of about 10 feet over that distance. The pump can draw 25 feet straight up, but can it draw 300 feet with a rise of 10 feet, I wasn’t sure.

Priming the pump

I bought 300 feet of 1 ¼ inch black poly pipe along with another 30 feet I had here with a check valve and laid it out along the driveway and up to the pump beside the Bunkie. The next step was to prime the line with water from the water bladder. After a couple of times thinking that the line was primed, I figured out that there is a lot of air in 330 feet of pipe. After removing the check valve to let the air escape, the line filled with water and success, we had water.

We Have Water

Satisfied that this is going to work, I built a stand for the pump and top to cover it. Installing a couple of valves for hoses and a new GFI receptacle, we are in business. 

Pump in it's shelter with a couple of valves for hoses

Conduit with new wiring for receptacle


GFI Receptacle and pump plugged in

The pipe will lay on top of the ground along side the driveway, corral and Pat’s Garden. There are three short sections where I have buried it just below the surface so we can cut grass without fear of cutting it.

Line along the corral and laneway


Along the garden and down the corral

 In the fall, I will have to drain it so it doesn’t freeze and then in the spring, prime the line again. All this, I have remembered from helping/watching my dad do this for water at the family cottage.
Loosening the gravel


Making the trench to put the pipe in.
We even found some good garden hoses and hose reel on one of the auctions we follow. Patsy will be able to water her gardens without lugging many watering cans of water and I will be able to wash vehicles and the trailer.

There’s another project in the books, thanks for stopping by. Until the next time, take care and be safe. Comments are always welcome.


13 comments:

  1. Wow that’s awesome. It’s amazing how we take running water for granted. It takes smarts to figure all that out. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy, yes we do take it for granted until you don't have it readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That project turned out good and I bet you are wondering why you hadn't done it a long time ago. Digging that trench must have been quite an undertaking but looks like an excellent job that also goes for the pump shelter. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, the idea had been floating around in the back of my mind for awhile.

      Delete
  4. I have something similar to what you have built to irrigate my lawn . I have that black pipe laying above ground for about 100 feet. I'm in Idaho where can get very hot in the summer and the water that has set in that pipe can get so hot it can all most burn you skin. It doesn't take long to cool down once fresh water is pumped through the pipe . Don't know if you might have the same thing or not . Safe pumping and it looks great . Vern in Boise Idaho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vernon. Yes the water in the pipe can get warm, but only around mid day when the sun is directly overhead. The rest of the day the pipe is shaded by the growth down either side of the driveway.

      Delete
  5. Necessity is the mother of invention and you were well inspired. Good job on setting up your own watering system.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick and Kathy, it certainly is nice to have it.

      Delete
  6. So, you have been working on the water system after all. Looks good to me, nothing like lots of water eh. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bill! I'm glad you've taken my request so seriously. I look forward to hearing how it works. And more project posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to Seasons in the Valley's post today and his sharing your post title I am pleased to follow along.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete